For people visiting Lagos from other countries and for people with international travel plans, It is important to get an International Driving Permit, as it is proof that one has a valid driver’s license in your home country and also allows you to drive in a foreign country. This document also allows you to earn money as a professional driver.
You will find this document very useful if you live in Lagos, you have a Nigerian driving license, and you want to drive in a country that requires an International Driving Permit. (Read: The Safest Places to Visit in Lagos)
It is common knowledge that getting documents from Government Agencies is a real hustle in Nigeria. To ease part of this stress, here’s a guide to getting your international driving permit in Lagos:
1. Before considering applying for an international driving permit in Lagos, ensure that you meet these basic requirements:
- You must be at least 18 years old or above.
- You must have an authentic Nigerian National Driving License.
- You must have valid reasons to support your application.
- You must be healthy and mentally fit.
2. To apply for an international driving license in person, visit the office of the Federal Ministry of Labour and Productivity to get the application form. Fill out the relevant sections on the application form with the right information.
Read: How to Get Around in Lagos (The Transport System in Lagos)
3. Ensure you have the following documents to submit along with your application form:
- A request letter that states the reason for your application
- Valid Nigerian Driving License
- Nigerian Identification Document
- Recent Passport Photographs
- Proof of Payment
- Proof of Residence and
- Scanned Copy of your Signature.
4. After submission, your documents will be checked thoroughly and verified by the appropriate parties.
5. Once your application is approved, your driving permit will be issued to you.
6. The office will notify you once your permit is ready to be collected.
For more information on the application process, you can also contact the Federal Road Safety Corps on their website or offices, especially regarding the process, and you will be directed accordingly. (Read: Where to Find Car Dealers in Lagos)
Processing an international driver’s permit is quite straightforward. The authorities concerned need about two to three days to process your request. This time range can increase if you do not submit your required documents on time.
If you are a foreigner that intends to drive for three months or more in Nigeria, you can follow these steps;
International Driver’s License for Foreigners in Nigeria
1. Go to a certified driving school (driver’s license center), apply, and pay for a driver’s permit.
Once you have passed your practical and theoretical driving tests, you will be issued a certificate of competence and then a Nigerian Driver’s License by the Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC).
2. Once this is done, write an application letter stating the reasons why you need an International Driver’s Permit. (Read: Where to Eat in Lagos)
3. Visit the Office of the Federal Ministry of Labour and Productivity to get and complete an Application form.
4. Submit your application form along with your Nigerian Driver’s License, Passport Photograph, and proof of payment
5. Once your request has been processed, the office will notify you, and your Permit will be issued to you through the Nigeria Police Force’s Interpol Office.
The license is valid from one to three years and has a cost range of 15,000 NGN to 25,000 NGN, depending on the time duration of the license you applied for.